Academic Terminology in New Zealand

In New Zealand, a lecturer is equivalent in duties, responsibility, and seniority to the North American tenure-track assistant professor. A senior lecturer is roughly equivalent to an associate professor. The term associate professor is also used but it corresponds roughly to full professor in North America (and is sometimes known as reader, as used in the United Kingdom). A professor is someone with a chair.

The term "faculty" is not used in the North American sense to mean academic staff (use "academic staff"...). The term "lecturer" is also used as the generic term for an academic staff member, just as "professor" is used in North America.