Dr Ulrich Matthias Speidel
- 1992: Came to NZ with the equivalent of a BSc from Germany. Undertook MSc studies in physics at the University of Auckland. The thesis was about signal processing for underwater acoustics used in a climatology experiment.
- 1994: Graduated MSc with 1st Class Honours. Later in that year, I started a PhD under Mark Titchener, on T-Codes.
- 2000: Got bored with just business and decided to get back into academia. That's why I'm here.
More on my home page
Research | Current
- Anything that's fun!
- T-Codes and T-information theory
To understand T-information theory, you'll need to understand T-Codes. To understand T-Codes, you must first understand T-Codes. If this confuses you, talk to me.
- Complexity in time series data and the use of information measures in detection and decision-making, e.g., in the detection of network events or similarity comparisons in noisy data
- Sustainabilty of real-time protocols on the Internet
Ever wondered why VoIP applications such as Skype seem to continue to (just) work on Internet infrastructure that wasn't built for it? So am I, and I'm trying to find out as part of a large international experiment just how sustainable it all is.
- Network coding over satellite and other long latency links
Did you know that Internet via satellite often doesn't use the expensive satellite link very efficiently? Network coding can help.
- Web application programming and security
Teaching | Current
Currently: COMPSCI220 Algorithms and Data Structures, COMPSCI280 Enterprise Application Programming, COMPSCI314 Modern Data Communications
Tuakana coordinator for Computer Science, along with David Welch
Areas of expertise
Data communications, information theory, network measurement, codes, data compression, signal processing, network coding, web applications, web security
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Speidel, U. M., Gulliver, A., Makhdoumi, A., & Médard M (2014). Using T-Codes as Locally Decodable Source Codes. In U. Mitra, E. Viterbo (Eds.) 2014 IEEE Information Theory Workshop, 218-222. Hobart, Australia. 10.1109/ITW.2014.6970824
- Cocker, E., Ghazzi, F., Speidel, U. M., Dong, M.-C., Wong, V., Vinck, A., ... Ferreira, H. (2014). Measurement of buffer requirement trends for real time traffic over TCP. 2014 IEEE 15th International Conference on High Performance Switching and Routing (HPSR), Vancouver. 10.1109/HPSR.2014.6900891
- Speidel, U. (2014). An Extended Similarity Distance for Use with Computable Information Estimators. Paper presented at International Symposium on Information Theory and its Applications (ISITA), Melbourne, AUSTRALIA. 26 October - 29 October 2014. 2014 INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON INFORMATION THEORY AND ITS APPLICATIONS (ISITA). (pp. 5).
- Manoharan, S., Master, A., & Speidel, U. (2014). Complexity-based Steganalysis. Paper presented at International Symposium on Information Theory and its Applications (ISITA), Melbourne, AUSTRALIA. 26 October - 29 October 2014. 2014 INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON INFORMATION THEORY AND ITS APPLICATIONS (ISITA). (pp. 5).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Sathiamoorthy Manoharan
- Cocker, E., Speidel, U., Rebenich, N., Neville, S., Gulliver, A., Eimann, R., ... Dong, M. C. (2013). Measurement of Packet Train Arrival Conditions in High Latency Networks. Paper presented at International Conference on Information, Communications and Signal Processing (ICICS), Tainan, Taiwan. 10 December - 13 December 2013. Information, Communications and Signal Processing (ICICS) 2013 9th International Conference on. 10.1109/ICICS.2013.6782947
- Speidel, U. M., & Cocker, E. (2013). Hosting a beacon. 1-10. Related URL.
- Rebenich, N., Speidel, U., Neville, S., & Gulliver, T. (2013). FLOTT-A Fast, Low Memory T-transform Algorithm for Measuring String Complexity. IEEE Transactions on Computers, 63 (4), 917-926. 10.1109/TC.2013.29
- Speidel, U., & Gulliver, T. A. (2012). On the Codeword Length Distribution of T-Codes. IEICE TRANSACTIONS ON FUNDAMENTALS OF ELECTRONICS COMMUNICATIONS AND COMPUTER SCIENCES, E95A (5), 909-917. 10.1587/transfun.E95.A.909