Dr Chia-Yen Chen
BSc, MSc(Hon), PhD
Chia-Yen Chen (or just Yen) received her B.Sc. and M.Sc.(Hon), as well as Ph.D. degrees from the Department of Computer Science, at the University of Auckland, New Zealand, in 1996, 1999 and 2004, respectively.
She has been a lecturer in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Auckland from 2002 to 2006, an assistant professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering at National Chung Cheng University from 2006 to 2007. She has been an assistant professor from 2007 to 2013 and an associate professor from 2013 in the Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering at National University of Kaohsiung, in Taiwan. Since 2014, Yen has been appointed Adjunct associate professor at National Sun-Yat Sen University for her expertise in 3D modelling and augmented reality. Since 2007, she has received and directed more 15 projects related to computer vision and 3D reconstructions, from the Ministry of Science and Technology, as well as industries in Taiwan.
In 2017, Yen re-joins the Department of Computer Science, at the University of Auckland, as a lecturer.
Yen's current research interests include 3D reconstructions, computer vision, as well as augmented reality and related applications.
Research | Current
Computer vision, 3D reconstruction and modelling, visual odometry, augmented reality and other related 3D applications
Teaching | Current
2018S1: 373/771, 773
2018S2: 715, 105
Areas of expertise
3D modelling, augmented reality, computer vision, computer graphics, image processing
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Tai, K. H., Hsieh, M. Y., Chen, M. J., Chen, C. Y., & Yeh, C. H. (2017). A fast HEVC encoding method using depth information of collocated CUs and RD cost characteristics of PU Modes. IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, 63 (4), 680-692. 10.1109/TBC.2017.2722239
- Yeh, C.-H., Tseng, W.-Y., Chen, C.-Y., Lin, Y.-D., Tsai, Y.-R., Bi, H.-I., ... Lin, H.-Y. (2014). Popular music representation: Chorus detection & emotion recognition. Multimedia tools and applications, 73 (3), 2103-2128. 10.1007/s11042-013-1687-2
- Chen, C.-Y., & Chien, H.-J. (2014). Geometric calibration of a multi-layer LiDAR system and image sensors using plane-based implicit laser parameters for textured 3-D depth reconstruction. Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation, 25 (4), 659-669. 10.1016/j.jvcir.2013.08.005
- Teng, J. H., Liu, Y. H., Chen, C. Y., & Chen, C. F. (2007). Derivation of novel estimation formulas for distribution feeder reconfiguration. IEEE Region 10 Annual International Conference, Proceedings/TENCON. 10.1109/TENCON.2006.343681
- Teng, J. H., Liu, Y. H., Chen, C. Y., & Chen, C. F. (2007). Value-based distributed generator placements for service quality improvements. International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, 29 (3), 268-274. 10.1016/j.ijepes.2006.07.008