Associate Professor Beryl Elizabeth Plimmer
I have been involved in the computer industry since the 1970s when I was a programmer and systems programmer for various organisations in and around Auckland. In 1989 I started teaching at Unitec and moved to Manukau Institute of Technology in 1992.
I completed a MSc in Science Maths Education from Curtin (Perth) in 1999 and immediately started a PhD, this time in HCI. My PhD project is the construction and evaluation of sketching software for interface design.
In 2003 I moved to my current position at The University of Auckland. For more detailed information please see my personal homepage https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~beryl/
Research | Current
The main focus of my research is Human Computer Interaction. This is a wide and expanding field.
My specific interests include
- Pen and touch based interaction
- Tangible interaction
- User-centred design and usability
Teaching | Current
Human Computer Interaction 3rd year Computer Science and Software Engineering Course
Advanced Human Computer Interaction 4th year Computer Science and Software Engineering Course
I am happy to talk to people interested in doing research projects in the areas mentioned above or other HCI areas.
Department PhD Coordinator
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Plimmer, B., Morrison, A., & Knoche, H. (2014). Exploring the Effects of Colouring Graph Diagrams on People of Various Backgrounds. DIAGRAMMATIC REPRESENTATION AND INFERENCE, DIAGRAMS 2014, 8578, 176-189.
- Diprose, J. P., Plimmer, B., MacDonald, B. A., & Hosking, J. G. (2014). A Human-Centric API for Programming Socially Interactive Robots. Paper presented at IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing (VL/HCC), Melbourne, AUSTRALIA. 28 July - 1 August 2014. 2014 IEEE SYMPOSIUM ON VISUAL LANGUAGES AND HUMAN-CENTRIC COMPUTING (VL/HCC 2014). (pp. 8).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jamie Diprose, Bruce MacDonald, John Hosking
- Roughton, A., Warren, I., & Plimmer, B. (2014). Concentus: Applying Stream Processing to Online Collective Interaction. Paper presented at ASWEC 2014, Sydney. 7 April - 10 April 2014. 23rd Australasian Software Engineering Conference. (pp. 10). 10.1109/ASWEC.2014.24
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ian Warren
- Blagojevic, R., & Plimmer, B. (2013). CapTUI: Geometric drawing with tangibles on a capacitive multi-touch display. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). 10.1007/978-3-642-40483-2_37
- Stevens, P. C., Blagojevic, R., & Plimmer, B. (2013). Supervised machine learning for grouping sketch diagram strokes. Proceedings - Sketch-Based Interfaces and Modeling, SBIM 2013 - Part of Expressive 2013. 10.1145/2487381.2487383
- Abdul Jalil, S., Plimmer, B., Warren, I., & Luxton-Reilly, A. (2013). Design eye: an interactive learning environment based on the solo taxonomy. Paper presented at 18th ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education, Canterbury, England, UK. 1 July - 3 July 2013. ITiCSE 13. 10.1145/2462476.2462509
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrew Luxton-Reilly
- Zhen, J. S., Blagojevic, R., & Plimmer, B. E. (2013). Tangeo: Geometric Drawing with Tangibles on an Interactive Table-Top [WIP]. Paper presented at CHI EA '13, Paris. 27 April - 2 May 2013. 10.1145/2468356.2468626
- Chang, S. H. H., Blagojevic, R., & Plimmer, B. (2012). RATA.Gesture: A gesture recognizer developed using data mining. Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing: AIEDAM, 26 (3), 351-366. 10.1017/S0890060412000194